The Isle of Harris Golf Club was set up in the 1930’s although there is evidence the course was used in the time of Lord Leverhulme in the 1920’s.
The course was closed at the start of World War II and fell into disrepair but was revived in 1984 with less than a dozen interested people who formed themselves into an informal committee to re-establish the Club. It was re-opened in 1985 facing the challenges of sheep and many other obstacles.
The Isle of Harris Golf Club was formally re-constituted in 1986 with 39 members and with help from the local crofting Grazings Committee in Scarista, who, in giving us access to the land, made the revival possible. In those days we had to vacate the course in May for the lambing season.
In 2000, after 5 years of complex negotiations, the Club was purchased by its members and in return the crofters received 350 acres of alternative land as compensation – an area which had previously been Church of Scotland glebe land.
Nick Faldo played here in the early 1990’s while preparing for the Masters as he wanted to practice on remote courses. He left an autographed fiver in the honesty box for green fees which Club members now compete for every year, known as the Faldo Fiver.
In September 2014 a number of clubs were selected to receive a visit and photo opportunity with the Ryder Cup and The Isle of Harris Golf Club were fortunate to have been chosen. It was flown in by helicopter and was received by Bryce Weir our most senior member.